1. Just like last year, Arsenal secured the qualification for Champions League on the final day of the season at the expense of the Spurs. And just like last year, Koscielny scored the £25 million winning goal.
2. Believe it or not, Arsenal’s defense this season is the 2nd in the league. Only Manchester City conceded less goals than Arsenal this season.
3. Problem with Arsenal? Lack of quality against the top 6 teams.
|POS||Among top 6||P||W||D||L||F||A||W||D||L||F||A||W||D||L||F||A||GD||Pts|
As you can see, Arsenal has the worst head-to-head record among the top 6. Arsenal’s only win came against the Spurs at home. To split it further, Arsenal got 5 points out of the Spurs and Everton but only 2 points against the top three.
4. On the other hand, it also means that Arsenal actually has a very good record against the rest of the league.
|POS||Vs. the rest||P||W||D||L||F||A||W||D||L||F||A||W||D||L||F||A||GD||Pts|
Indeed, only Manchester United has the better record than Arsenal against the rest of the league. (Note how consistent United is at home – full sweep!)
5. And note also how well Arsenal’s away defense is against the rest of the league. They only conceded 6 goals in those 14 games. That’s why I was not really worried about the match against Newcastle. And they did get a clean sheet against them.
6. So, Arsenal’s problem this season is not inconsistency, as it might have been for the last couple of seasons. Arsenal is really consistent this season. It’s just that we are not good enough to contend for the title. We only get 2 points out of 6 games against United, City, and Chelsea.
7. Overall, Arsenal’s record this season is as follow:
Home Goal Difference
Away Goal Difference
8. Last season RVP scored 30 out of 74 Arsenal’s goals in the league 37 out of 96 in all competitions. We bought Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla to replace RVP and all of them managed to get double-digit goals in the league (11, 11, and 12, respectively). In total they combine for 34 out of 72 goals in the league and 45 out of 105 in all competitions.
9. And Walcott becomes the top scorer in Arsenal this season: 14 goals in the league, 21 goals in total. And, with his 21 goals in all competitions, Walcott is the best-scoring Englishman this season. You didn’t read that wrong.
(Walcott’s goals didn’t add much to Arsenal’s points, though. Without Walcott’s 14 goals, Arsenal will only be 5 points worse. In comparison, without Bale’s 21 goals, the Spurs will be 24 points worse. In other words, Walcott rarely scores when it really matters.)
10. Having said that, Wenger will still put Walcott on the right wing and we still need another centre forward. Giroud alone is not enough and Higuain/Jovetic/both will be very, very welcome (and, alas, too good to be true). As has been mentioned above, our problem now is our lack of quality against the top teams. Arsenal also needs to buy a goalkeeper, the fourth centre back, and retains Sagna while continues to develop Jenkinson. Otherwise, for now we must be content with Yaya Sanogo, whom Arseblog described as “ticks a lot of the ‘haha typical Arsenal signing’ boxes in that he’s young, French and has had a lot of injury problems.” Such is the life of Arsenal fans.
11. Nevertheless, today is a day to celebrate. Happy St. Totteringham’s day!